Sunday, October 12, 2008

Sonnets 17 and 43

I love you without knowing how, or when, or from where.

I love you straightforwardly, without complexities or pride;

so I love you because I know no other way than this:

where I does not exist, nor you,

so close that your hand on my chest is my hand,

so close that your eyes close as I fall asleep.



This is ending of my favorite sonnet by Pablo Neruda.


This is so simple and beautiful. I love it when writers find something true about life and write about it and keep it simple rather than complicate it. When you think about it, life is simple... love, pain, family, friends, faith, laughter, tears... yet inevitably people complicate such simple things.



Another favorite sonnet is the famous Sonnet 43 from Elizabeth Barrett Browning's Sonnets from the Portuguese. First of all, i would love it for no other reason than that it's from a compilation called Sonnets from the Portuguese. That's just magical and romantic, right there. I even love the word Portuguese. It's so exotic. It sounds like they are a people who really know how to love...




How do I love thee? Let me count the ways.

I love thee to the depth and breadth and height

My soul can reach, when feeling out of sight

For the ends of being and ideal grace.

I love thee to the level of everyday's

Most quiet need, by sun and candlelight.

I love thee freely, as men strive for right.

I love thee purely, as they turn from praise.

I love thee with the passion put to use

In my old griefs, and with my childhood's faith.

I love thee with a love I seemed to lose

With my lost saints. I love thee with the breath,

Smiles, tears, of all my life; and, if God choose,

I shall but love thee better after death.


I love thee with the breath, smiles and tears of all my life. My favorite line.

1 comment:

Ashley said...

I love to read that you enjoy and appreciate these poems--and I didn't have to talk you into it. I teach 43, and I feel like I have to talk them into appreciating them...it's a sad thing. Also, isn't it funny that you still think of things that you were meaning to do at your wedding? I do that sometimes...and then I think "Ha! That's over..." ;)