Thursday, September 8, 2011

The Adventures of Tom Sawyer

I've always gotten a kick out of Mark Twain. His dry sense of humor really works for me. These are some classic Twain quotations that have always tickled my funny bone:

Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no
influence on society.


Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

I defy anyone to read The Adventures of Tom Sawyer and not laugh out loud, or at the very least, grin stupidly. If you can, I don't want to be your friend. I've always thought I'd be a good mom to a passel of (no scratch that... I mean one or two) mischievous little boys. And with a few tiny tweaks, Tom Sawyer is pretty much the epitome of perfect American boyhood.

I laughed out loud so much reading this that I had to read passages out loud for Nathan to appreciate, too. But then we were both laughing so hard that I couldn't keep reading. This is my favorite funny passage. Tom is trying to win Becky Thatcher's affection and has succeeded in meeting her for a little lunchtime
tête-à-tête. Here's our little Casanova in action:

Tom was swimming in bliss. He said: "Do you love rats?"

"No! I hate them!"

"Well, I do, too--live ones. But I mean dead ones, to swing round your head with a string."

This romantic mood is ruined when Tom reveals that Becky wasn't his first fiancee... young Tom was previously engaged to Amy Lawrence. Oh, the scandal!

Grade: 4/5 stars. So fun and entertaining.




2 comments:

thelibrarianreads said...

haha, can I not be your friend because I've never read it? [insert *blush* here] Shucks ;)

rachelkiwi said...

you are only not my friend anymore if you read it and DONT laugh. then i'd have to break up with you. but i'm sure if you did read it, you'd giggle, so we're all good.