Sunday, September 25, 2011

Celebrating the Freedom to Read

I read banned books! 
These are some of the banned books that I plucked from my shelves.


The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the 
man who cannot read them. 
                                          ~Mark Twain

There is no such thing as a moral or an immoral book. 
Books are well written or badly written. That is all.
                                         ~Oscar Wilde

The books that the world calls immoral are the books 
that show the world its own shame. 
                                   ~Oscar Wilde

4 comments:

thelibrarianreads said...

I Read Banned Books Too!!!

It's so much harder being on the library side of book banning. Lately I've had a lot of censure, a lot of banning...It's making me tired thinking of the fight we have to provide people all types of books to read...And the fight to get teens to read them!

rachelkiwi said...

i can imagine!

u know, i think it's up to the individual (or the parents) to determine what they wanna read. not the government! freedom of expression, people! this is america!

Danielle said...

I agree, I think it's up to each person what they will or won't read. No one has the right to tell people what their own conscience dictates.

On the other hand, I do think it's sad that some authors feel the need to write some of the "trash" that's out there. But again, that's their freedom.

I think it all comes down to each person doing what they believe to be truly right.

Trish said...

Haha great post! I have most of those books, too. Love the quotes.