Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Waterfall Wednesdays: Chapters 18-23

Better late than never! I gave in to peer pressure and caught up with Waterfall Wednesdays for this week's questions. I knew the name Lisa Tawn Bergren was familiar and it finally hit me that I read her Northern Lights series when I was about 13 or 14 and read exclusively Christian historical romance until I OD'ed on the genre. But THE ONLY scene I remember from the multitude of books that I read from that time was one from a book by Lisa Tawn Bergren. A wife is soaking in some kind of outdoor spring or tub or something while her husband washes her hair. And that's all. To my 14-year-old self, that struck me as about the most romantic, most wonderful thing ever. And it still sounds pretty good to me at 27! Anyway. Here we go. Waterfall Wednesdays:

CHAPTERS 18-23


Gabi and Lia both face several life and death situations in these chapters, having to pick up weapons in defense of those they love and experiencing first hand the brutality of close combat. If you had the choice between picking up a weapon and standing on the front lines or staying behind to tend to the wounded as necessary, which would you choose?

Definitely tend the wounded. Although can I just say I am happy I don't have to do either? I mean, if it came down to protecting those I love or my own life, I don't think I would hesitate to inflict injury. But I have no false illusions about my prowess with any kind of weapon, so I know that I wouldn't last two seconds against a massive muscular Medieval knight! I'm not squeamish, but I'm not much good with blood and gore, either, (and heaven help me if someone started vomiting!) but I guess if the alternative was bleeding out on a dirt floor, I would do. I guess the only thing I think I could really contribute would be comfort and compassion and helping them sip chicken broth. On second thought, though, I think I could be an archer. Archery has always appealed to me... and you could be far from the conflict with those. And you don't have to overpower anyone. 

Both girls get to wear extraordinary gowns to their victory celebration; what would your dream medieval gown look like?


Okay, well I absolutely adored my wedding dress. It's not very medieval. But I love the full skirt and the fitted, beaded bodice. I loved Lia's dress' description. Since I have blue eyes, too, I think I'd go for something in the blue family. Something inspired by my wedding dress, but in a blue-teal-green color. I loved the sash in the back of my dress. And I love the pick-ups. With long tight sleeves until the end when they would flare out over my wrists.


Gabi has crude stitches put in and must endure both their removal as well as the cauterization of the wound. How is your threshold for pain? Do you think you would have simply gritted your teeth as Gabi does?


I guess I have a pretty high threshold for pain. It was always a big thing in my family to "be tough" and my sister and I were expected only to cry "big girl tears" (as opposed to "little girl tears," which really just means you're being a spoiled brat!) I'm so thankful for these lessons, and I confess that when I see kids throwing tantrums at the grocery store because their mom won't buy them the Doritos they want, I want to go up to the mom, put my hand on her shoulder and say in a disgustingly sweet voice, "I can see that you haven't taught your child the difference between "little kid tears" and "big kid tears." Your life would be so much easier, right about now if you had." 
My worst fear is that someone would consider me a wimp (irrational, I know). I was kicked by a horse in third grade at a friend's house and broke my elbow and I didn't cry. I went to the hospital only after my sister started crying and demanding that we call our mom because my elbow was swollen to three times its normal size. Since I'm out to prove to the world that I'm not a wimp, I would just have gritted my teeth and dealt with it, like Gabi does.

Marcello wants to properly court Gabi after they express mutual feelings of affection, wanting to speak with her mother about his intentions. What do you think is the most romantic aspect of medieval courtship?

I love how the focus is removed from the physical aspect of the relationship, so that the touches, kisses, embraces they do share are so much more powerful. I think it's a matter of respect for the ladies and a deference to the importance of waiting for the proper time for that kind of a physical relationship. People leap into the physical aspect so fast now that I think it warps the whole relationship. I love how when he sees her ANKLES he gives her a "wolfish grin." I've always loved the adjective wolfish. It just gives me shivers. Like he's a predator. But a kind manly one and you're the prey. But not helpless prey. Just willing prey. Anyway... 

Gabi and Lia find themselves with conflicting desires toward the end with Lia wanting to return home and Gabi hoping to stay. Do you think that Gabi is being unfair to Lia for wanting to stay, or is Lia being unfair to Gabi for demanding they go? A little of both?

A little of both. I can see wanting to get home back to my mom, like Lia wants. And I can also see wanting to stay to see how things go with hunky Marcello, too. Hopefully Lia's feelings for Luca will change and she will want to stay in the 1300s for romance, too. I love Luca!

12 comments:

Julie said...

I love your "big kid tears" and "little kid tears" story! When I see a kid in the store pitching a fit I want to go over and give a good smack on the butt and tell them to get over it! Great answers!

Lisa said...

Gorgeous wedding picture!

I agree that by removing the physical aspect when the actual kisses and stolen touches came I think there would be more sparks and fireworks!

Rebecca (RivkaBelle) said...

hehe, Your answer for #4 has me chuckling..."wolfish" is a fun word. (As is "elfish" but not applicable to this discussion).

Cuh-razy chick, re: elbow! Kudos to you! I can tough out a lot, but I think that'd do me in ;o)

YA Book Queen said...

Love your wedding gown! So gorgeous!

Lol, did he really give her a "wolfish grin" when he saw her ankles? I'll to go back and look for it ;)

Missie said...

Rachel, You look amazing in that dress! Love it! :)

And wow! You totally have my respect. Anyone who can withstand getting kick by a horse is my hero! :)

Tina said...

Rachel thanks for joining us this week.

I loved reading your answers and that wedding dress was beautiful, you guys look like a very happy shinny couple...:D

Katie McCurdy said...

Rachel, great to have you! I like your history with Lisa Bergren. A guy washing his wife's hair? How sweet!! Now I'm curious to read that book. ;-) lol

Oh, and just wanted to add that your wedding dress is SO beautiful!! Lovely!

Amy @ bookgoonie said...

Love your #4. It is all about the little things. It is refreshing to see them pick up on the slightest glimpse. Where today things have to be so garish in order to get someone's attention.

thelibrarianreads said...

Finally got mine all posted! So happy I wasn't there the day of the arm-breaking. Who's house were you at that there was a horse? Why did I miss out on the horse action? lol.

Love the wedding dress. You look amazing in it (I thought so that day too!) And that picture is great with the rose petals and you and Mr. Kiwi all smily...sigh...

All of that being said. I for one am taking you out of the battle situation all together until you gain those elusive archery skills. You are a grin and bear it kinda gal...but with a weak stomach for other's trauma. You can spoon soup later ;)

So happy you finally joined!!!!

rachelkiwi said...

Ok, so maybe the elbow story shows a lack of intelligence more than any kind of tolerance for pain. :)

Danielle said...

That picture will forever make me smile. It was such a great day! I know that wasn't the focal point of your post, but I just had to say something :) I'm very intrigued to read this book now... hmmm....I might just have to put it on my list.

Lisa Tawn Bergren said...

Hey, thanks for jumping in with the River Tribe! So glad you've come around to my little corner of the world of books again. You know what's funny? I remember that hair scrubbing scene, but I don't know which book it's in! Now that's going to drive me crazy...

Your answers were excellent and insightful. Thanks for joining in WW.