Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Top Ten Books I Bought for the Title or the Cover



 Check out The Broke and the Bookish every Tuesday for fun Top Ten lists!
Cover:

   1.  The American Heiress by Daisy Goodwin.



 





      2. The Peach Keeper by Sarah Addison Allen. 
      Sara and I read this for Book Club of Two and I just thought this was a wonderful cover. 

Title
  
3.  A Heartbreaking work of Staggering Genius by Dave Eggers. This appealed to my sense of humor. However, I semi-hated this book.
  
      4. Our Magnificent Bastard Tongue by John McWhorter. I don’t swear, but ya know, every once in awhile I feel the urge to feel filthy words rolling off of my tongue. So that’s why a book like this is useful. I can just throw this into a conversation: “Right now I’m reading ‘Our Magnificent BASTARD!!! Tongue!’” There. Swearing and yet not swearing, all at the same time. (I do love this title though for other reasons, too… I love the hybrid-ness of English and I love learning about the history of words.  I’m a word nerd!)

      5. Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy by John Le Carre. I have to read this soon because the movie is coming out! I love the rhythm of the words.

      6. Here be Dragons by Sharon Kay Penman. In Medieval times, mapmakers wrote “Here Be Dragons” on maps to delineate uncharted territories from the known world.  For all they knew, dragons could dwell there. I just love the romance of that world, when there were still unexplored lands and dragons weren't fantasy. (When I read this, my husband started referring to our cat as “Here Be Dragon-breath.”)

      7. Love in the Time of Cholera by Gabriel Garcia Marquez. Anything with love in the title probably has my vote. Such a romantic, poetic title. And a great book.
 
8. One Hundred Years of Solitude. Actually every title by Garcia Marquez. Though I don’t own any other than these two. But I love these titles too: Memories of My Melancholy Whores and The Autumn of the Patriarch
  
           9. Love in a Cold Climate by Nancy Mitford. See reason for #7. 
 
     10. The Worst Hard Time by Timothy Egan. Hands down, best non-fiction book I’ve ever read.

 

5 comments:

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

Those clever titles stick in my brain until I see them at the bookstore and cannot resist them. Here Be Dragons was one of them for me, too.

Here's my Top Ten list.

Trish said...

#8! I've always loved that cover. I still have yet to read the book, though.

thelibrarianreads said...

American Heiress is a beautiful cover...was the book any good?

And of course I'll second The Peach Keeper...beautiful cover!

And I've always loved Love in the Time of Cholera...it's my favorite of his books ;)

1girl2manybooks said...

I love The Peach Keeper! Beautiful cover and book

Danielle said...

I literally laughed to myself when I read what Nathan called Ollie. What a goofball. I can completely imagine exactly how he would say it, too.