Friday, November 4, 2011

The Literary South

Nathan and I recently returned from a whirlwind camping adventure in the South: 13 days, 13 states, 3,400 miles driven. We tried new foods: alligator, grits, etouffee, jambalaya, gumbo. (I should clarify that Nathan tried new foods and I tried tiny bites of his adventurous entrees.) We saw sugarcane and cotton being harvested, drove the Natchez Trace Parkway on a lonely Mississippi morning, cheered on the Bayou Bengals at Tiger Stadium in Baton Rouge, rode on an airboat and on a steamboat and soaked up the abundant local color of the South.

You could go on an entire vacation just visiting literary landmarks of the South. But I suspect that that itinerary wouldn't really fly with Nathan, though we did make a few stops at literary landmarks at my request. The best souvenirs are books and I love buying books in symbolic places. I came home approximately 8 books richer!

At Square Books in Oxford, MS. I'm holding my purchases: Delta Wedding by Mississippi native Eudora Welty and Dr. Zhivago by non-Mississippi native Boris Pasternak (oh, I crack myself up. This is not funny unless you know about the content and history of Dr. Zhivago. Even then it may not be funny except to me. :) )
Inside Square Books.
Rowan Oak, Faulkner's home, Oxford, MS





Evangeline statue, St. Martinville, LA

At Evangeline-Longfellow National Historic Site, St. Martinville, LA

Faulkner House Books, New Orleans, LA. Cute bookstore at the location where Faulkner rented rooms in the 1920s when he was in his twenties.


Booker T. Washington symbolically lifting the veil of ignorance from the black race. At Tuskegee University, AL. Bought Booker T.'s Up from Slavery here.

1 comment:

thelibrarianreads said...

Ahh, LOVE this post. And finally I'm getting to see pictures of your vacation ;) So cute. I'm jealous of your southern adventure. Sounds yummy as well as literary, lol.