Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Ten Books I've Had On My Shelf the Longest Without Having Read



 1. Watership Down by Richard Adams. My mom gave this to me for Christmas, circa 1995. I know it's old because its pages have already yellowed and it sports the indentation of the "personal library embosser" I received for Christmas, also circa 1995. "This book belongs to the library of RKH." 

2. A Long Fatal Love Chase by Louisa May Alcott. I think this is the book that is referred to in Little Women by Professor Bhaer with disappointment in the dark and sensational content of Jo's writing. So naturally I had to have it. This book was just a recent discovery when I brought it home to collect dust on my shelves; it was unearthed over a century after she wrote it. 

3. Catch 22 by Joseph Heller. Read the first few pages and thought, nope. I will have to wait a few more years to see if I can grow enough brain cells to tackle this one. As it stands at the moment, I have far too few to handle this.

4. A Very Long Engagement by Sebastien Japrisot. Purchased in 1998-1999, at the beginning of my continued obsession with France.

5. The Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo. Started a few times, but haven't yet been in the right mood for Quasimodo and Frollo.

6. The Portrait of a Lady by Henry James. I bought this on the recommendation of one of my professors. I think I'm finally in the mood for this one.

7. The Diary of Anais Nin by Anais Nin. When I studied in Paris in the summer of 2004, I became fast friends with another girl from Pennsylvania. I took photography and she took a literature class that focused on French writers. At the end of the summer she gave me all of her books. Jackpot!

8, 9, and 10. Geronimo: His Own Story by Geronimo; My People the Sioux by Standing Bear; The Autobiography of Red Cloud by Red Cloud. I bought these for a project for a memoir class in 2003. The fact that these famous Native Americans had written their own memoirs just about blew my socks off! It still does. And we know how I'm enthralled with Indians. But we ran out of time in the class and so the professor dropped the final project off of the syllabus and these chiefs are still waiting for me.

Goal for 2012: Knock some of these books off of the list!

7 comments:

Trish said...

Yes, Portrait of a Lady looks like a 'mood' book, doesn't it? I'd like to get to it sometime soon, too. Maybe in the new year.

Tanya Patrice said...

Ooh love your list - some of those books are on my "must read in a lifetime" list - which means I might never get to them :-)

GF Book Mom said...

What a great selection. Get started.
Here's My Post

diaryofadomesticgoddess said...

I can't read Watership Down - the film has always wigged me out!
Here’s my Top Ten Tuesday post. :)

thelibrarianreads said...

I've done Anais Nin, interesting to read while thinking of it through a feminist lens.

I'll second Portrait of a Lady (also collecting dust for me) and Catch 22 (never finished) and I'll add an Anna Karinina to the list (got halfway through last year and my interest trailed off slightly...) and a Blindness, supposed to be so good and I never seem to pick it up...

Think any of these fit our Award Winning Challenge?

Falaise said...

Watership Down seems to be a popular choice this week!

Amy @ bookgoonie said...

Watership Down is like my husband's favorite book from school. I haven't read ;(