Friday, January 13, 2012

Oh, For the Love of Words! Friday (1)

Fridays at my blog will now be dedicated to logophilia. That word in itself is yet another reason why I am a logophile. Break it down with me, whydoncha. (Anyone who had Classical Connections class in 7th grade at WAMS will rock this.) LOGO=Word. PHILIA=Love. Hence:

logophilia

(loh.goh.FEE.lee.uh) n. The love of words.
logophile n. A lover of words.

There is a disease which consists in loving words too much. Logophilia first manifests itself in childhood and is, alas, incurable.
—Peter Ackroyd, "Visions from an addiction to fiction," The Times (London), March 20, 2002
                        (I borrowed this text and definition from www.wordspy.com)

Welcome to my world as a bibliophile and logophile. This means that I decorate my apartment with books:

  

  Look at that: a room with books and a cat. Is there more to life? (That's Oliver's cat-in-the-headlights look.)


Nathan built this beautiful bookshelf for me before we were married. You can tell two more things about me from this picture. I love candles and I'm a serial killer... of plants.

This also means that my books are littered with post-its with vocab words on them. I encounter words in the text that I don't know, scribble them on these stickies and then look them up later (if I remember...) This is how I learned the words hirsute and callypgian. (Hopefully these words are not frequently used in the same sentence.) Tab open dictionary.com and proceed to giggle.

This also means that I dog-ear pages of books when I like passages and then collect them in this nifty Vera Bradley binder:

Then I frequently reread them and grab at my chest in agony. Oh the beauty! (You may roll your eyes here. My husband sure does.)

So, henceforth, on Fridays, I am going to celebrate words. That means that I'll either be a) sharing a new vocabulary word that I learned, or b) including a passage of beautiful prose that I've encountered in past or present literary sojourns.

In honor of all this bibliomania, I'll begin with one of my favorite quotations about books. From A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith:
The library was a little old shabby place. Francie thought it was beautiful. The feeling she had about it was as good as the feeling she had about church. She pushed open the door and went in. She liked the combined smell of worn leather bindings, library paste and freshly-inked stamping pads better than she liked the smell of burning incense at high mass.

2 comments:

thelibrarianreads said...

I love this! And I totally looked up the words. Stiff butt hairs on a beautiful woman-bum would be bad. Though, I do very much enjoy the hubby's hairy bum...given he suffers from no hirsute lol!

Hmm...maybe I'll join you in this meme. Though, you're always much better at picking out beautiful passages than I am.

Danielle said...

I LOVE this post! And I love the new set-up with the bookshelves too, it looks great!