Friday, February 17, 2012

Oh, For the Love of Words! Friday (The Fault in Our Stars)



On Fridays, I celebrate words. 


The esteemed Book Club of Two is currently reading The Fault in Our Stars by John Green. Right now, I am being utterly ruined by this book. I've had a lump in my throat since the second paragraph on page one. Despite the whole got-my-heart-in-the-wringer element, I have laughed! And I love these characters. The dialogue is kinda Gilmore Girls/Dawson's Creek-esque. And by that I mean that I don't think that anywhere on Earth there are teenagers who talk in the way Augustus and Hazel do (and aren't these highly improbable names for the youth of 2012?). But this is the fun of fiction: the suspension of disbelief.

Also, the author of The Fault in Our Stars is, as you can see, adorably and nerdily hunky. I should add him to my Hunky Authors post.

The prose is beautiful and somehow Green really manages to capture the voice of a teenage girl. I'm not sure how this dude can sound like a 16-year-old girl, but he succeeds. Believe me, I know. I once was a 16-year-old girl. 

The following passage is one of the instances in which I laughed: (I love that Hazel makes any word into an adjective. I do this myself, so maybe that's why I like it. I'm a firm believer in making up words as you go. Also: a double contraction! Rare and intriguing...)
Then I found myself worrying I would have to make out with him to get to Amsterdam, which is not the kind of thing you want to be thinking, because (a) It shouldn't've even been a question whether I wanted to kiss him, and (b) Kissing someone so that you can get a free trip is perilously close to full-on hooking, and I have to confess that while I did not fancy myself a particularly good person, I never thought my first real sexual action would be prostitutional.
 And this beautiful line:

As he read, I fell in love the way you fall asleep: slowly, and then all at once. 

Augustus is an anomaly. He's 17, reportedly gorgeous, and has amazing muscles. Sounds like many 17-year-old boys I stared at when I was the 16-year-old girl that I once was. And yet Augustus is exuberant! And affectionate! And unashamed of emotion! (The exclamation marks are in honor of Gus's exuberance). He's like the anti-teenage-boy. And now I know the inspiration for his personality: This is the author's YouTube channel. Definition of exuberance.

3 comments:

SaraO said...

Love both of these quotes though, I haven't encountered them yet.

I say we have a "Quote-Off" as our Book Club of Two post. Whoever finds the best passages wins ;)

RachelKiwi said...

haha. who will determine who wins?

the whole book would practically be highlighted. it's amazing.

SaraO said...

You gotta just pick a top 3...We'll find another blogger to judge.